Friday, August 21, 2009

New Semester

I think I'll try to be better about updates this semester... I'm going into the advanced classes now which will be challenging and fun. Also found out my cost control class is alot of math and formulas (blech!) Hopefully I'll have a great "teacher" that will actually "teach" me since cost control is actually something that will be useful to me in an executive chef roll.

Here's something you probably never knew: An executive chef doesn't actually cook on a regular basis. Go figure.... They are responsible for cost control, menu planning and most likely hiring and fireing. They perform a "directive" role and delegate the task of running the kitchen to the sous chef who in turn, delegates production of day to day tasks to head chefs, ie.. the garde mange (cold foods) is responsible for getting out all of the cold food, the grill chef is in charge of all grilled items, the saucier is in charge of sauces, etc... Each head chef has a line of cooks that they manage.
All that to say, if you have a well managed kitchen it is thanks to the executive chef who sees talent and leadership in individuals, builds on it and thus a well managed kitchen!

Something I've learned over the years of being an employee: If your supervisor is not threatned or egotistical, they will teach you everything they know without fear and THEY will look better for doing so... Some people haven't figured this out yet.

Here's to a great semester. Hopefully easier than the summer schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment